Posted by Benson for CD2 on 5:07 PM

"...I always thought our politicans were doing a great job for us. Originally, Howard Finn Represented the whole North East San Fernando and Tujunga Valleys. We've been abandoned up here in CD2 by more council members. They've run for office, got elected, then run out after they were elected. I'm told that's what career politicians do, always campaigning, always climbing the ladder of political asention.

"Now that I've officially been added to the ballot since before noon on Tuesday, I'm finding out some even more fascinating info that pertains to being a perpetual candidate. This election is for filling out the two year remainder of the term for vacant CD#2 office. Friday July 31 is the final day to report how many dollars the professionals have raised since their campaign offices began stocking their war chests since MARCH of this year. March, one month after Greuel was elected controller is when the pros knew they could start socking the money away. The Campaign Office never goes away, and one has to wonder how much off duty time staff put in to keep it going.

"After the September 22 Primary, it all starts over again, because the window opens in OCTOBER 2009 for the 2011 Election! Candidates wanting to take a second shot will be gearing up even before the final results of who gets the job is even decided. No wonder incumbents have such a lock on the seat. And what an encumbancy - a total of 14 years.

"Of the current office jumpers, who will stick around before they take off and move out to qualify somewhere else?

"I never had to do any moving to qualify for the race, nor do I intend to move out, regardless of the outcome of the election. As a first time candidate, I have never worked for City Government. My husband and I run a private business, and our income doesn't "keep on coming" as I take time to campaign. Good thing my husband is the computer genius, and I manage the office paperwork. We don't have the benefit of a paid time off to campaign. "

Mary K. Benson

Search